The Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), Special Education State Personnel Development Grant has funds available to support the efforts of local school districts in Arkansas to recruit and retain qualified special education teachers. Financial assistance will be provided to individuals who are interested in pursuing special education licensure and teaching in an Arkansas public school district with a high proportion of less than fully-qualified special education teachers.
The ADE will provide tuition reimbursement, up to $3,500, to persons willing to pursue or who are in the process of adding, special education licensure endorsement. Interested applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a resident of Arkansas.
- Be currently employed in a school district with a high proportion of less than fully- licensed special education teachers.
- Be enrolled in an Arkansas regionally-accredited public or private college or university with an approved special education program taking a minimum of three (3) required course hours per term or semester.
- Agree to obtain their special education license within three (3) years.
- Agree to teach special education for at least two (2) years after receiving special education licensure in an Arkansas public school needing fully-licensed special education teachers.
Persons interested in applying for the tuition reimbursement program for the Fall 2012 term must complete the attached application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Mail the completed application to Sandy Crawley, 1401 West Capitol Avenue, Suite 450, Little Rock, AR 72201, or fax it to 501-682-4248. Applications must be received by June 4. Applicants will be notified of their status relative to acceptance in the tuition reimbursement program by July 6.
Approved applicants will be required to submit a copy of their program of study outlining the cost of the program. Also, an itemized statement of course(s) payment from the registrar and an official transcript must be submitted within 30 days of course completion and attached to the Request for Reimbursement Form for payments to be processed.